Saturday, December 12, 2009

In Loving Memory, Part I

On Thanksgiving Day we lost my Aunt Demarious. I got the news when we were leaving the movie theater that evening. We attended her funeral in Valley, Alabama on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I will miss her, but even more I want to remember her.

Aunt Demarious was a strong but kind woman. Several years ago I created a layout on her for my "Portrait of Ladies" album that showcases the strong, loving, caring women in my family. Here's an excerpt of the journaling from that page, as it says just what I want to say about her:

"Aunt Demarious never pretended to be anyone other than who she is - a good ole down-home southern girl, loyal to her husband, friends and family, who is just as happy hunting and fishing as she is shopping and talking girl-talk. Over the years she remained true to herself, not compromising her beliefs or changing her language to be politically correct. If Aunt Demarious offends you by speaking her mind or telling the truth, well then that's just too bad, in her point of view. She doesn't sugarcoat and she doesn't beat around the bush.

"A strong woman with a booming voice, a fierce bear hug, and a witty comeback at the ready, Demarious Jackson carved a niche in our family that was uniquely her own. Born and raised in the Deep South, she is an Alabamian through and through, and proud of it. She seems fearless, plunging ahead into new business ventures and leisurely pursuits alike with unbridled enthusiasm.

"Aunt Demarious taught me that boys may be boys, but girls can play boys' games and excel at them. She taught me that it is more important to be true to yourself than it is to be popular. She taught me that showing a tough shell to the world doesn't mean you have to be hardened inside. She taught me that sometimes when you're dealing with boys, you just have to be a real tough cookie and never show fear. Over the years I haven't always know where I've stood in the line to Aunt Demarious heart, but during a recent visit, as we bid goodbye, she grabbed me to her famous bear hug and whispered "I love you, kid." It certainly meant the world to me to hear it from the women I've grown to love and respect."

Here's the layout that journaling comes from:


I was working on a hybrid mini-album, a Printable SANTA Word Album by Kay Eflin and Julie Mead. I decided to fill it with photos from the last Christmas celebration that we had with Aunt Demarious on the farm. It wasn't ever easy to get pictures of Aunt D, but I did get a few that day.






I love you, Aunt Demarious. Rest in Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment